The 2009 Release
Some short notes on the 2009 release
- better looking parts
- removable partial cover
- easy to use user interface shows the Curta on a Web page
- a calculator interface to demonstrate the basic multiplication
- adjustable fog added
Standalone or on a Web page
YACS can now be shown on a Web page with controls and feedback and a (multiplication only) calculator.
Note: this code is only tested on Window XP and Vista and Microsoft Internet Explorer.
Just click the little squares to operate the Curta.
You can still use the keyboard command or click on the Curta. The indicators on the page reflect the current state.
Hover the mouse over the squares to get a tooltip. The keyboard command is included in the tooltip whenever a keyboard command is available. The keyboard equivalent is shown in -brackets. Example: Machine Ready [MR]
You can also start YACS in standalone mode and just use the keyboard command or click and shift part of the Curta.
The removable cover
When you start YACS the Curta is presented with a partial cover.
When you get closer to the Curta the cover is removed.
Back up a bit and the cover is back again.
You can control the cover state (on or off) from the Web page or with keyboard commands.
This very simple calculator can demonstrate how the Curta performs a multiplication
It is a very basic calculator:
- the first number entered (with a maximum of 8 digits) is for the setters
- the second number entered (with a maximum of 6 digits) is used for cranking and shifting the carriage
- there is no common sense: the number of cranks is not optimized.
- enter the first number using keys 0..9
- press the x key
- enter the second number using keys 0..9
- press the = key
- watch the Curta perform the multiplication: intermediate results are displayed
- press the C-key to perform a Machine Ready cycle
On the right side of the 7-segment display there are 3 dots to indicate the current state
- top indicator: accepting first number (8 digits maximum)
- center indicator: accepting second number (6 digits maximum)
- bottom indicator: busy with a multiplication
- pressing the C-key for Machine Ready makes the Curta ready to accept the first number again
- 0..9 enter a digit
- x accept first number
- = accept second number and start the multiplication
- <-: remove last entered digit
- CE: clear entry. removes a number
- C: Machine Ready. performs the machine ready function. Curta and Calculator ready for next multiplication